Sunday, July 4, 2010

Reality, as I say it is!




So, it's been quite a while since I've actually written a post. December of 2008 to be exact. What could Dave possible be up to now-a-days? Well buckle up, cuz I'm about to tell you.

Really... So I just graduated from BYU Provo. After 3 months of hard, (and i mean hard) job hunting, I've finally landed a job with J.C. Pennys. Imagine, 4 years of gruelling studying, late nights, intense examinations, and several thousands of dollars later I have put my college degree to good use. A shoe sales man!
Don't get me wrong though, I'm grateful to have it! The job market here in Utah is scarce and the few jobs available are intensely fought over.
I'm not hopeless however. I've realized that in the real world, (my reality) if I want any sort of middle class wages or more, I will need even more education. So I am currently
studying for the GMAT exam. I am scheduled for July 28, which is right around the corner. So hopefully, I can do well and get into a top tier business school. But regardless of how I do on this test, I will be going to business school. I don't care if it's Blech MecBlechen's upstairs business college. I'll apply to where ever I can get into.

Wait Dave, didn't I hear you say something about owning your own business? A dance studio or something?
Actually yes, one thing I did pick up my last two semesters of college was that if you don't have a job, just start your own. So that's what I did! Enter Blue Tango.
I set up a business licence through the state's business website. Viola! I'm in business..
A few of you have asked me if I'm even making money on this thing. Well yes and no. I've spent so much money it's ridiculous! But the studio is finally starting to come around. Last week, I made 50 bucks. Now I know that doesn't sound like much to you, but think about this 1. This is my ONLY source of income in the last 3 months. #2 I paid a 100$ for rent. Meaning that the business concept is pretty good if I'm pulling in 150 bucks a night. If I can keep growing during the summer months like I have been, then when fall rolls around, my business will double! That's because in the summer, 20,000 of 30,000 students at BYU go home. When I first opened my doors, 130 people came. To give you an idea of the potential earning, I charge 4 bucks at the door. So you can do the math.

Seriously though Dave, if you want to get into business school you're going to need to do something more impressive than own your own studio and have a part time job at Penny's you'll need a job with a fortune 500 company. or something. Yeah, I will actually. This Penny's job is going to hold me over until I can take my GMAT exam and land a great job with an awesome company. But here are two major problems. First of all, almost guaranteed, I will need to move to the eastern united states to get one of these jobs. My sister Sarah has kindly offered that I may live with her and her husband in Pittsburgh. Which is great but 1. how do I manage my growing dance studio when I don't live in the same state? Do hire a manager and offer to pay him in free dance lessons? Secondly, how do I put controls on management. aka, how do I know that he/she wont steal from me? I know I can't stop all stealing, but if I'm not there to count the money, how do I know if its just a bad night, or if some body's slippin cash from the box?
So I sort of feel married to blue tango and can't really separate myself from her. What do I know about owning a business?


Feel free to post any comments. Especially if they are ideas on how to hire a manager.

2 Comments:

At July 16, 2010 at 12:48 PM , Blogger Rebecca said...

what degree did yo graduate with? just curious...ben has computer jobs open up here.

 
At July 18, 2010 at 8:35 PM , Blogger diane peterson said...

You are adorable David. I miss and love you. Thanks for the thoughtful post. And yes, your life is of inestimable worth. I love you,
mom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home